Weekly Meows #1 - The Secret's Out: Cats Know Their Name
When cats ignore you and you don't even know it // @Dallas Krentzel
Hey cat lovers,
Cats know their name.
According to a recent study, cats can distinguish their own name apart from any other words. That means that they know when you're telling them not to scratch the sofa - they just choose to ignore you!
Read more at CNN Health.
Mystery solved? Why cats eat grass.
Cats do a lot of weird things. One of the biggies is eating grass, often to throw it up just a few minutes later. Now, after perhaps centuries of mystery, scientists think they know why.
- Extremely common behavior: 71% of the animals were caught in the act at least six times in their lifetime.
- Probably safe for kitty: 91% of respondents said their cat did not appear sick before imbibing plant matter.
- What researchers think: Eating plants is instinctual and comes with an evolutionary benefit to felines.
Read more at ScienceMag.org
We took our cats on a beach vacation. Here’s what happened.
My wife and I are crazy cat people. Our phones are overflowing with pictures of our two felines, Jasper and Jezebel. We’ve spent thousands of dollars on their veterinary care. We even take them for walks. But we never considered bringing them on vacation — until this summer.
- Excited to hit the beach: The girls were especially excited, gleefully envisioning walking the cats on the sand, which they referred to as “the world’s largest litter box.”
- People like to travel more with their dogs: The vast majority of people who travel with their pets are dog owners: 85% versus just 21% of people who travel with a cat.
- Cat-friendly establishments are limited: Airbnb says that 30% of their listings are pet-friendly, and Vrbo says nearly 90,000 of its properties in the U.S. allow pets, but many of these appear to exclude cats.
Read more at The Washington Post.
An Evening With New York’s Most Glamorous Cats.
The cat fashion show, which raises money for the Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals, has been taking place at the Algonquin for 11 years.
- The fashion theme: This year, to celebrate New York’s diversity, Nieves made the theme “It’s a Small World,” with each cat wearing a look that represents a different country — the U.S., Ireland, China, France, Spain, India, Germany, the U.K., and Egypt.
- Cat celebrities: Cannoli and Wasabi, a pair of hairless cats, have done extensive TV and commercial work — Cannoli recently booked a commercial for a computer, and Wasabi is on the new season of HBO’s Succession.
- Uh, no cat walk? The cats, it turns out, do not walk; they are carried, like animal royalty.
Read more at THE CUT.
Cat Fun Fact
Cats are the world's most popular pets, outnumbering dogs by as many as three to one.
Let's hear from you
Where have you taken your cat to vacation? If don't take your cat with you, what's stopping you? Tell us in the comments section.
Let's keep in touch
Apply coupon code "CATNAME" at checkout to receive 15% off orders $40+ (valid until Aug 17, 2019). Shop now for your cat here!
Until next time, cat lovers!